Search This Blog

January 17, 2016

Wordplay



Inspite of limited education that too in an vernacular language (Marathi) , my father became quite fluent in English, Genesis of that was probably my grand father who was a avid 'Readers Digest' & TOI reader , and as a child I had asked him how to improve my own vocabulary , his prompt response was read TOI every day and write down words that are not familiar and find their meaning from dictionary. Remember this was in the 80's- early 90's -- this was before the era of PCs and internet. so it was an time consuming endeavor , and I had numerous diaries dedicated to collection of such words. This was probably one among them. And you might be surprised but I still continue to collect unusual words and phrases and call them word plays.


No comments: